Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Final Resting Place

The summer flew by and now I have begun a new semester at Maharishi University of Management (MUM). It is hard to believe that three years ago I began the journey to obtain my Bachelor Degree, and now I am a senior. Raising two teens and going to University full-time is no easy task. Now here I am and it feels great.

So our Tiny House final destination ended up being at a small farm in the outskirts of Fairfield. I have leased some land to place our tiny house on for the next 10 months. It is a beautiful piece of land. A great combination of woods, prairie, and rolling hills.

 
The site I selected for the tiny house is in the Northeast corner of the farm. It has a nice growth of trees to it's Northwest to protect it from the wind and storms. To the south is an open field which is perfect for passive solar in the winter.

The farm is a perfect little growing tiny house community. The main house being built by the property owners is in it's second year of construction. It is a straw bale house with earth plaster. Most of the beams and interior wood is recycled from downed trees on the farm.

Over the summer a couple of my fellow Sustainable Living classmates built a Tiny House through the woods on the far Northwest corner of the land. I believe there's is a 12' x 16', so just slightly smaller than my tiny house is. At this time they have the frame, roof on and windows in.

The farm has a swimming hole with a zip line. I think this was the biggest attraction for my teens. To the North of the swimming hole is a platform that originally was slated to be a little entertainment hut. At the moment another Sustainable Living classmate who just registered at MUM has pitched a tent on the platform overlooking  the water. A beautiful spot while he determines where his final living quarters will be.

There is yet another person on the land who has built a stone garden in the Southeast woods on the farm. I believe she is also building a Tiny House for mediation in the woods.

Needless to say, a lot of exciting things going on. A perfect place for us to participate in some Tiny House community building!

No comments:

Post a Comment