Monday, October 27, 2014

Shed Siding on a Tight Budget



About an hour out of town there is a wood mill that sells huge bundles of scrap wood for $5. They also are a source for free sawdust for the compost pile.

Originally I bought the wood with my neighbor as firewood. When I say a "Large" bundle I mean LARGE. When it is tightly and neatly stacked it measures three feet by three feet by four feet. Each of the pieces is in the shape of a 1/2" x 5" slat. 

When designing the shed I came up with the great idea of utilizing the scrap wood slats as siding. It gives the shed a nice weathered barn board look about it. I've almost finished siding the south side of the shed and have only utilized a quarter of my stack of wood. I figure to side three sides of the shed it will cost about $40 including wood and nails.

Not bad on a tight building budget... score!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a pretty good deal for siding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I also am really enjoying following your story here. Thanks for the massive dose of inspiration! -Ananda

    ReplyDelete